Skip to main content

Western and Eastern Christianity

Source: Unsplash

Disclaimer: I'm not a pastor and I don't have a theology degree. I'm a Christian man who loves learning and reading about Christianity from Bible, history, denomination, apologetics, and testimony

I and my friend seriously discussed Christianity on WhatsApp. He wasn't born to a Christian family, but he accepted Jesus Christ as the Lord and Savior at the age of 16. Hallelujah, I was super glad to listen to his testimony. God is so good! He criticized the church in the modern era, and we admitted that the Christian community in Indonesia is Western-oriented, especially in the United States. Therefore, we find it very rare in the Christian community that is Eastern-oriented, like Orthodox. You all know that America is so powerful and influencing Christianity across the world, including Indonesia. I don't count how many American missionaries and pastors serve Christ in the world, however, I believe it'll outnumber it because they have international missionary programs, like Moody Bible Institute, Deaf Missions, Appalachian Bible College, etc. So, I always meet American pastors and missionaries here and we get to be close friends. We know that America is the first nation to appear new denomination that we called Jehovah's Witnesses started in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and LDS (Latter-day Saints) or Mormonism started in Fayette, New York but moved to Salt Lake City, Utah, and Utah's the state of the LDS population in the United States as LDS teens dream to go to Utah and get to BYU (Brigham Young University). JW and LDS are heretical in Christianity because they don't accept Jesus Christ, but JW and LDS have many followers and churches across the world and outside of the United States. I have met JW and LDS, but I never join with them although I attended their church, and even I read their Bible, titled The Book of Mormon. I believe Christianity and Jesus Christ in the only pathway to salvation. I still contact them because they are my friends meanwhile, we almost never meet. 

The charismatic church is from the United States and is dominated by teens, which I'm the one. I will not discuss what denomination is because it doesn't important, and I want to talk about whether we should believe which Christian-western-oriented or Christian-eastern-oriented. I think there is nothing wrong because it is all about how individualism is and how to know and get closer to Jesus Christ as what they feel as personally. Nevertheless, I would like to go to the Holy Land to learn Christian-eastern-oriented where Jesus Christ was alive and shared His words, where the twelve disciples of Christ were alive and ministered. It'll be interesting! That's my dream. 

I met a pastor who criticized the western-oriented. He was concerned about circumcision and hijab or head coverings for women. I know it does in the Old Testament and New Testament (Genesis 17: 9-14 addresses circumcision for men and 1 Corinthians 11: 3-16 addresses head coverings for women). "So, Christians are western-oriented, and it doesn't exist in the Bible. They just tried to change themselves. You know what kind of a western, the color skin of white and freedom." he said. I didn't respond to him because I didn't want to debate and respect his opinions. Back to addressing freedom that he criticized, I completely agree about freedom, but you shouldn't forget about self-freedom. Everyone has freedom in thinking, behaviors, opinions, and where beliefs in. We can't expect them to change as we want to. If a woman wants to wear a head covering because she believes in the Bible, it is okay, and I respect her. As it does to a man who wants to go to a doctor's appointment about circumcision due to health reasons, that's no problem. I don't care which is right about eastern or western because eastern and western are all good. I value freedom because freedom is owning to, by, and from people who God has given. I believe freedom will never die as long as people fight for freedom. Soldiers died for freedom, that's why I value freedom. 

So, I don't concern about western and eastern Christianity because eastern and western are on the same mission in the faith of Jesus Christ and to get the glory of Jesus Christ. God will understand the ways we pray and praise for. I believe it. Don't waste time debating which is right and keep praying to God in your ways and whatever your beliefs. 

"I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave me himself for me." Galatians 2: 20.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Idea of Feminism In the Church

A veiled woman lighting up a candle in the Orthodox Church, source: Adobe Stock Roman Catholic Pope Francis appeared a 60-minute on CBS's live-streaming interview with a female reporter, Norah O'Donnell. She was curious in a question towards on him,  " I'm curious, for a little girl growing up Catholic today, will she ever have the opportunity to be a deacon and participate as a clergy member in the church ?" Pope Francis simply, saying, " No ." O'Donnell seemed to trying to push on him about her idea of the progressive and reformation in the Catholic Church. But, thanks God, Pope was strong defending his faith.  This is a 60-minute interview has opened that in fact the pressure of the church reformation has been increasingly happening today. We heard that some churches trying to allow its LGBTQ movement within church life, like the Unitarian church. And, I think some churches have accepted the female ordination, but usually it is Protestant church b

Women, Modesty, and Veiling

(Veiling of women in different era, source: Diaqnoz.Az) " I am Orthodox and I do not agree with veiling " on a comment that recorded on Instagram while posting a reel of female Orthodox veiled at a church and monastery.  I am Orthodox and I do agree with veiling . So, why? The first place, that people may think that we are "sexist" or "pervert" as controlling on female clothing appearances. That's possible because we live in a modern era which is the female rights are more honourable and important in its society. Many girls are independent raised well and having same chances of working at secularism typically careers. But, as Orthodox Christians, who we know that we are about 2.000 years living to equip our Christ looks like in the modern era, which that has been fallen down, especially rising up feminist's movement. The feminism is mainly different from what women have fought for equality gender as surely their aim is to dominate and create the &q

The Pascha, Life Bond, and SO SPECIAL! Orthodox Christianity!

Holy Fire in Jerusalem We typically celebrate the Easter - however that the Orthodox people generally saying that's Pascha - but I felt like that was so special that I celebrated the Pascha in a different Christianity tradition which was unfamiliar to myself, being to live in the country who well-known about Western Christianity. We celebrate the Pascha on a different calendar, it is Julian Calendar so many people wonder that why we are being late celebrate the Pascha and even the Christmas, a week late (between 12-13 days on Julian and Gregorian calendars) from the Western Christians. But, in certain times in history, we celebrate on the same date like 2017 we celebrate the Pascha together with Roman Catholics and it will be happening next year! The Eastern Orthodox is the holy and first church to just celebrated a blessed holy week in last week! Unfortunately, I was unlucky in that schedule as I had a five-day training during the holy week schedule, that caused I had to miss mult